Life always seems to follow a
cyclic pattern for me, like a sine wave of excitement for
life. Recently my wavelength has shortened and life seems to be
putting me through a little bit more of a tumultuous ride. (Sorry
for the dorky analogy, but it seemed fitting)
As one might expect, life in
Ecuador hasn’t been a cake ride. Moving to an unknown continent with
absolutely no knowledge of the language and culture was expected to create a
challenge.
My first task once arriving
in Quito was obvious: learn Spanish. On my second day in Quito I
found a local school, and scheduled one-on-one instruction for four hours
everyday. While this certainly proved to be essential knowledge and
it gave me somewhat of a purpose, it led to a bit of a mundane lifestyle. Living
in an apartment, in a relatively ritzy neighborhood, in a large city, where I
didn’t speak the language didn’t quite fit the bill for the unique cultural
experience I was seeking, and I found it quite easy to get into a funk.
After five or so weeks I
decided I’d had enough of Spanish class. I needed to find something
different. Somehow, despite this desire to get out and explore, I
remained reluctant to leave the comfort of the apartment. I spent
two weeks at home not really accomplishing much. Searching for volunteer
opportunities on the interweb had led me to find many great places, but for an
unknown reason I wasn’t finding what I was looking for, maybe it was because
most places feel the need to charge what I felt was an excessively large amount
to come work for free for them. This didn’t compute for me.
Fortunately, during those two
weeks off, I had made a friend who wanted to go kayaking and would be able to borrow an inflatable kayak for Catherine.
Perfect, the trip was set to go to Tena on Saturday and return Sunday. The weekend started off with us watching a
Marc Anthony, Cheyenne, and Pitbull concert from the roof of our apartment
building. It would be hard to beat that
Friday night; right? Maybe; well… probably?
So I reached deep for a maneuver of epic coordination in the middle of
the night. Saturday morning at 4 AM I
woke up to pee, afterwards I felt dizzy, and the next thing I know I’m laying
on the bed looking up at Catherine. She
had woken up to a thud in the bathroom and found me seizing on the bathroom
floor with a hole in my head. I had
fainted in the bathroom, and broke my fall with my eyebrow on a still unknown
object. Pretty scary for her, but she did a great job, and remained calm. Thank you so much Catherine! I'm super lucky to have you!
I found Ecuadorian hospital care
quite good and reasonably priced.
Despite that, this marked my low point.
Swapping boating for hospital care: no bueno. (Funny side note: the day after my injury,
which involved a concussion, I went over the handle bars on my bike, and broke
my fall with my head. Somehow, I was
okay, but you can see the scrapes from my bike helmet in the following picture)
 |
| My lovely nurse removing the stitches |
In the end the kayaking trip was only pushed back one week. We went to Tena and had a blast. Catherine borrowed a ducky and we did the Upper Mishualli and the Lower Jondachi. Really fun and world class rivers.
 |
| For some reason two people in a one-man ducky seemed like a good idea. Upper Mishualli |
 |
| Check out Catherine's amigo in the background. Lower Jondachi |
 |
| Boof! Upper Mishualli |
So things really seemed to be looking up from the face-plant incident, and they were about to get better. My amigo, Dave, decided he'd seen enough of Ecuador, but before he left he wanted to climb Cotopaxi. It seemed like a good idea to me so we climbed Pichincha on Tuesday and Cotopaxi on Wednesday/Thursday. It made for a great week.
 |
| Training! |
 |
| Acclimatizing |
 |
| El Refugio Jose Ribas |
 |
| Crater and me at sunrise (5897 m / 19,347 ft.) |
 |
| Dave coming in out of the clouds |
 |
| Glacier and Antisana |
I had reached an amazing high point in my time here in Ecuador, and things are looking up. My Spanish may be suffering a bit, but I have a lot more time left in South America to practice. I am also still searching for that purpose that will make my time in Ecuador really something that I can look back on with pride. I guess things like that just aren't going to come easy. Until then, I'll it's kayaking season!
Protect that head Paul! The blog is great buddy. We'll be keeping track of you from the north. And be ready for our summer journey 2013....Ecuador's calling.
ReplyDelete